Sunday, January 15, 2012

Anticipation

As a teacher, I have tomorrow off from school in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. I'm a huge fan of MLK, but I prefer his wife. While he did a great job of getting civil rights started, she kept the fire burning all those years after his death. That takes/took amazing courage.

Anyway, on Tuesday, I get three new groups of students. One class is made up mostly of kids I've taught before, so I'm ready for those; the other two groups are brand new to me. Something about that makes me nervous. I'm ready for some new challenges, but I'm so accustomed to the students I've had for the past 90 days. They are unique in their own ways, and I will miss them terribly.

Really, the start of second semester is like a whole new year for me. New syllabi, new lesson plans, new kids...and it is nerve-wracking. Typically, there are two nights a school year when I know I just won't be able to sleep. One is the night before school starts, and the other is the night before second semester.

If you think about it on Monday, after you've celebrated the courage and amazing integrity of MLK, Jr. and his wife, say a prayer for me that these students will be gems...even if they do take a little polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment